Monday, March 7, 2011

Ah Acronyms!

Latin Americans do love their acronyms.  The Brazilians, in particular, love to pronounce them as words so, for example, the Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro, or PUC-Rio, is said "pookie Rio." The -ie comes from the way the soften the hard consonant sound a the end of a word, so I am called Patrick-ie in Brazil.  The University of São Paulo (USP) is said 'ooospie' and so on.

Anyway, this morning in my e-mail box I received the latest communique from the Latin American and Caribbean Economics Association (or LACEA, pronounced 'la-say-ah') informing me of the newest network with the umbrella organization.

It is the America Latina Crime and Policy Network.

And the ancronym?

You guessed it: AL CAPONE.

I am not making this up.

No comments: