Thursday, November 13, 2008

Beeronomics: Omens?

Over at the Brewpublic blog comes this shocker: The Green Dragon is going to be taken over by Rogue. Are we seeing the first evidence of the economic downturn hitting the Portland pub scene? Are we seeing the effects of the hops shortage (did the GD ever start brewing its own)? Or are we seeing evidence that the pub scene in Portland is over-saturated? Hmmm...I am not sure if this is an omen of the rough times ahead or just a one-off. Thoughts?

Brewpublic seems to really hate Rogue [update: Angelo of Brewpublic objects to this characterization and I agree, he really hates the idea of loosing the Green Dragon and the potential of its staff loosing their jobs, but hating Rogue is not accurate - my apologies], and while I agree that my experience in their pubs has been one of extraordinarily expensive food and indifferent service, I remain a big fan of the company and (much of) the beer. I don't like this though - I lament any decline in independent tap rooms in Portland. In my neighborhood the Oaks Bottom Public House was bought by the Lompoc folks to the great detriment of the pub. Fortunately there is still the Muddy Rudder. And Portland still has Bailey's Taproom (please serve food!), Henry's, Concordia, Belmont Station and others.

Ah well, at least you don't have to walk far from the Green Dragon to Roots, where they have finished a remodel and now serve lunch! Hey, that reminds me, I'm gettin' a little peckish myself...

2 comments:

Angelo De Ieso II said...

Brewpublic does not hate Rogue. In fact the beers are great. Read deeper into my website and read the praise for Rogue. Brewpublic hates this move if Rogue is in fact going to get rid of the entire staff. That's weak. Rogue over charges for their products too. You should mention that in your economics blog. Cheers.
--Angelo of Brewpublic

Patrick Emerson said...

Angelo,

Sorry, poor word choice on my part, but your post was a bit caustic. I did mention the outrageous prices and even mused about how they can get away with it in an earlier post.

But we agree, this is bad news. I have no use for another Rogue pub in town, but do cherish places like the Green Dragon.

Thanks for visiting.

-Patrick