Monday, April 1, 2013

Investigative Journalism as a Public Good: The ProPublica Model

Here is a video from an interesting report on ProPublica the not-for-profit investigative journalism outfit that is funded mostly by donations.  This quote by the Editor in Chief is essentially correct, but I would use the analogy of police officers and firefighters rather than symphonies and ballets:

"We look at this as what you might call a public good – much like the symphony or the ballet," said ProPublica Editor-in-Chief Stephen Engelberg. "The free market will not produce an optimum amount of investigative reporting."

There is a big difference in how society would look without the former and much less wouthout the latter. I put a free and functional press in the former category.  I love ProPublica but I worry that this is still a poor substitute for a lively press.

Here in São Paulo there are two competing dailies still and two more big ones in Rio that all have national breadth.   Plus a bunch more in many other cities like A Tarde in Bahia.  When the weekday paper arrives at my door, usually with 5 or more sections and a lot thicker than The Oregonian I am reminded of how much we have lost in the US.

In fact, I often compare today's São Paulo with the US of 15 years ago in term of thriving newspapers, magazines and bookstores.  Those were the days...I give Brazil about 10 years.


No comments: