Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday Omnibus Post

I have been traveling and thus have a bit of catching up to do.  So today I'll mostly direct you elsewhere for your fill-up of all things Oregon and Economic.

While I was away the state released its unemployment data for October:  The news is good, though the unemployment rate is stuck at 10.5%, the state added a very healthy 7,600 jobs in October.  This mimics the good national number for October.

On the New York Times' Economix blog, Ed Glaeser has a nice post on why economics helps a lot on the how questions in policy but not as much on the what. It reminds me of the astonished look I got from a thoughtful econ major at OSU when I said there is a point at which economics stops and has no answers to moral questions like how much poverty is acceptable and does a society have an obligation to help the disadvantaged.  Once a society decides that it will help the poor, economics is good at helping design effective and efficient programs but can't give you an answer to the basic question.

In the Wall Steet Journal, David Wessel interprets Ben Bernanke's speech today in Germany.

And now, the picture of the day:

No comments: